Glorified Mac N’ Cheese
Here’s the recipe for our day 3 dinner meal on the West Coast Trail. Kraft Dinner – something that many of us grew up having at least a couple times. It’s incredibly cheap (sometimes you can find them at 69 cents a box even), and convenient to prepare. It is also relatively dense in energy, making it a great choice for camping trips where there’s a lot of energy expenditure. Plus, it’s a little reminder of childhood comfort food when away from home…
Makes 1 serving.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes.
Cook Time: 10 minutes.
Equipment: measuring cup, measuring spoon, Ziploc bag, fuel, camping stove, pot, spork
- 1 cup Kraft Dinner Macaroni
- 1/2 package of Kraft Dinner Cheese Powder
- 2 Tbsp Skim Milk Powder (not only adds creaminess, but also equivalent to 1 Tbsp of protein powder added)
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan Cheese Powder
- 4 Tbsp Dehydrated Vegetables (with carrots, onions, and green onions – kind of like the packs you’d find in an instant noodle package. You can find it in the bulk section of grocery stores such as Superstore or Save-On-Foods).
- 1 Tbsp Bacon Flavoured Bits (Optional – not only adds flavour, but these tasty soy-based imitation bits add a bit of protein as well)
- Bring 1.5 cup water to a boil.
- Macaroni into boiling water and cook for 5-7 minutes until tender.
- Mix in seasoning and cover for 2 minutes.
Calories: 587 kcal (Dry weight: 187 g (3.1 kcal per gram) )
Fat: 12 g
Carbohydrates: 92 g
Fiber: 3 g
(Net Carbohydrate: 89 g)
Protein: 29 g
A Source of: