Yes, I’m talking about Spaghetti Squash, the im-pasta. This canary yellow squash is a great way to increase your vegetable intake. Swap out any pasta recipe with spaghetti squash and load up on some vitamin-loaded, fiber-filled goodness. Try this seasonal eat and get acquainted with this versatile, wintery vegetable.
Pesto Spaghetti Squash Boat Bake
Makes 4 Servings.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes.
Cook Time: 40 minutes. (Preheat Oven at 350 F)
- 1 Spaghetti Squash, approximately 3lbs
- 1 cup Pesto (see this recipe for an easy spinach-walnut pesto)
- 1 Onion, small, finely chopped
- 1 Tomato, chopped
- 2 Clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Cheese, shredded
- A pinch of Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Cracked pepper to taste
- To cook spaghetti squash: slice open in half and remove seeds in core using a spoon. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place in a microwave-safe vessel, add a quart cup of water into the two halves, cover using a second plate and microwave for 12 minutes. Remove from microwave and fluff into spaghetti-like strands with a fork, set aside for use.
- In a sauce pan: drizzle some oil, and sauté garlic and onions until golden.
If you’re feeling more minimalistic, this step is optional. Opt out from turning the stove on and having another utensil to wash by just throwing the chopped onions and garlic in with the tomatoes to mix into the spaghetti squash mixture.
- Mix pesto, onions, garlic and tomato into the spaghetti squash until well combined and place on a baking tray.
- Make two dips on each side of the spaghetti squash boat and gently crack an egg into each.
- Top with grated cheese and pepper flakes. Bake at 350F until bubbly (approximately 20 minutes). For a golden, crispy top, turn up to broil (or 450F) for 2 minutes at the end.
- Garnish with herbs and cracked pepper as desired. Serve as is or with a side of salad (Try this Harvest Slaw).
Per Serving (quarter of a squash)
Calories: 500 kcal
Carbohydrates: 31 g
Fiber: 5 g
(Net Carbohydrate: 26g)
Protein: 21 g
A source of:
And Provides 7 servings of Vegetables