It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas…. the holiday baking spree has begun. Flour is dusting it’s way across kitchen counters, and cookie photos seem to have hit the internet viral. Baking seems to have always been a part of the holiday season. It is also something very dear to my heart. Not because of the end product, but because kitchen is my safe haven; it’s where the magic of food begins for me. The transformation of raw ingredients to something that I share with those I love. But amongst the decorating, gift shopping above and beyond the usual work, laundry and groceries, it is hard to find time for gingerbread making and the sugar cookies.
So here’s to getting two birds (or bears – see photo) with one scone. What about getting together in the kitchen with family and friends to do some baking that can be used for your lunch or dinner meals? Enjoy the holiday baking tradition, make use of those gingerbread-men and christmas tree cookie cutters, and prepare lunch for the next day – all with one scone.
As a bonus, the addition of lentil and zucchini provides extra moisture and fibre to the final product! Try this recipe as a side to a warm chilli, or soup.
Apple Cheddar Zucchini Christmas Scones
MAKES 16 SERVINGS.
COOK TIME: 20 MINUTES
PREPARATION TIME: 20 MINUTES.
- 1 1/2 (375mL) cup Flour
- 1 1/2 (375mL) cup Whole Wheat, Multigrain Flour
- 1/4 cup (60mL) Wheat Bran
- 2 Tbsp (30mL) Baking Powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Baking Soda
- (Optional) 1 Tbsp Paprika
- (Optional) 1 Tbsp Chipotle Powder
- (Optional) 1 Tbsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 cup (125mL) Salted Butter (Cold, Cubed)
- 1/2 cup (125mL) Lentil Puree
- 1 cup (250mL) Zucchini (Grated)
- 2 Eggs
- 2 cup (500mL) Cheddar Cheese (Grated)
- 2 cup (500mL) Apple (Cubed)
- 1/4 (60mL) cup Brown Sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius).
- In a large bowl, mix flours, wheat bran, baking powder, baking soda, paprika, chipotle and pepper.
- Cut butter into flour mixture with a pastry blender or use your fingers to mix in until resembling oat-flakes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together brown sugar, eggs, lentil puree.
- Add cheddar, zucchini and apples to the wet mixture.
- Add wet mixture to flour and butter. Form a dough using your hands,
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and roll out until approximately 1-inch (5 cm) thick.
- Using your christmas cookie cutters, cut into desired shapes.
- Roll together the left-over dough and repeat steps 6 and 7 until all dough is shaped.
- Bake on parchment lined baking tray for 20 minutes, or until the tops are lightly browned.
To make lentil puree: Boil 1/4 cup (60mL) lentils until cooked (20 minutes) and strain. Try canned lentils for zero cook time. Place cooked, or rinse and drained canned lentils into a food processor. For every 1/2 cup (125mL) of lentils, add 2 Tbsp (30mL) cup of water. Blend to make a smooth puree with a consistency resembling canned pumpkin.
Per Serving (1 Scone)
Calories: 180 kcal
Fat: 8 g
Carbohydrates: 20 g
Fiber: 2 g
(Net Carbohydrate: 18g)
Protein: 7 g
A source of:
And Provides 1 servings of Grains, and 1/3 serving of Milk and alternatives (as per Canada’s Food Guide)