Christmas time is filled with cookie baking. How to make a couple different cookies without having to add too much work on yourself? Try this recipe for an easy starter batter and flavour as you’d like! Double the batch, individualize the flavours right before rolling the dough out and get two cookies with one batch. Or double the batch and split the dough in half right before adding flavouring to get four times the flavours. Yep, it’s that simple. For festive flavours try grinch-green Matcha, zesty orange and dark chocolate, crushed candy cane or holiday chai. Less work to do, so you can sit down and enjoy your holidays next to a hot cup of cheer. Secret from santa: it’s whole wheat too!
Chocolate Dipped All Purpose Shortbread Cookies
MAKES: 15 LARGE OR 30 ‘TOONIE-SIZED’ COOKIE SERVINGS.
PREPARATION TIME: 30 MINUTES.
BAKING TIME: 20-25 MINUTES.
- 2/3 cup butter (softened not melted) – swap out for vegan butter alternative or coconut oil for an all plant-based cookie
- 1/2 teaspoon (7.5mL) vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (125mL) powdered sugar
- 1 1/4 cup (310mL) whole wheat all-purpose flour
- (Optional) 2 Tbsp (30mL) preferred flavour mix
- Instant Coffee Mix,
- Matcha Powder,
- Black Sesame Powder,
- Powdered Chai Mix,
- Orange Zest + 1 tsp Orange Juice,
- Crushed Candy Cane + 1 tsp Peppermint Extract
- 1 cup (250mL) Semisweet Chocolate Morsels (mini chips, 8 ounces) – White or Dark
- 1 tsp (5mL) Coconut Oil
- Using an electric beater or mixer, cream butter and vanilla together. If you haven’t got the gadget, a little arm workout would do the trick.
- Add in powdered sugar and continue to mix until combined.
- Gradually add in flour.
- (Optional) Add in your flavour of choice. If planning on making more than one flavour with this batch, split the dough in half and use half the listed amount for each dough (i.e. 1 Tbsp Matcha for one batch and 1 Tbsp instant coffee mix).
- Using your hands, work the mixture until a dough forms.
- Remove dough from bowl and place on a lightly floured surface (on a parchment or wax paper works as well) and roll out until approximately 1/4 inch thick.
- Using cookie cutters or the opening of a drinking cup, cut into dough to desired shape.
- Place cut cookies on a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes at 325 degrees Fahrenheit until lightly browned and firm.
- Let cookies cool for 2-3 minutes and transfer to a cooling rack to allow to cool completely.
- Melt chocolate with coconut oil using one of two methods:
- Double boiler or melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl by placing on a pot with water over the stove on medium heat.
- Microwave on high heat for 30 seconds, stir well then heat in 10 second increments stirring well between each heating.
- Dip half of each cookie into the chocolate and place on wire rack until chocolate glaze is firm
- Store cookies in an airtight container once chocolate is solid. To protect the glaze, place wax paper or parchment between layers. Store in fridge until use.
Per Serving (1 large or 2 small cookies)
Calories: 190 kcal
Fat: 12.6 g
Carbohydrates: 18 g
Fiber: 2 g
(Net Carbohydrate: 17 g)
Protein: 2 g
A source of:
Happiness (Let’s face it cookies nourish the soul. So live a little and enjoy!)