Try this festive pecan crunch. Flavours of heat, cinnamon and citrus zest gives a nice round flavour to any salad or as a side on a party platter. Cranberry red, Pumpkin seed green and bright orange zest: A perfect crunch of festivity. For salad ideas: try a Roasted Beet Kale salad with Citrus Vinaigrette.
Maple Candied Pecan Crunch
“The Perfect Salad Topper”
MAKES: 2 CUPS (500ML) SERVING.
PREPARATION TIME: 3 MINUTES.
COOK TIME: 2MINUTES.
Equipment: Fork, Spatula, Microwave-Safe Bowl, Microwave, Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 1.5 cup (375mL) Pecan Halves
- 1/4 cup (60mL) Maple Syrup
- 1/2 tsp (1.5mL) Cayenne Powder
- 1/2 tsp (1.5mL) Cinnamon Powder
- Pinch of salt
- Fresh Cracked Black Pepper to Taste
- 1/4 cup (60mL) Pumpkin Seeds
- 1/4 cup (60mL) Dried Cranberries
- Zest of 1 Orange
- In a microwaveable bowl, mix maple syrup, cayenne, cinnamon, salt and pepper.
- Heat in microwave on high for one minute.
- Add pecans and mix well with a spatula until all pecans are covered.
- Return to microwave for 30 seconds.
- Remove from microwave and set aside to cool completely.
- Mix in pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries and grate the zest of an orange.
Per Serving (1/4 cup, or 60mL)
Calories: 200 kcal
(Net Carbohydrate: 10.5 g)
A source of:
1 serving of “Meat and Alternatives” from Canada’s Food Guide