First recipe to start the year off. Try this easy, twenty minute recipe to a quick and healthy breakfast. Use it as the ‘base’ recipe to individualize in your own way. This year, resolute to 1. Try new things, 2. Cook more meals at home, 3. Eat breakfast daily! “Our intention creates our reality” – Wayne Dyer. So set the positive intentions for the day by jump-starting your morning with an energizing crunch. It is filled with fibre, whole grains and some protein to keep you satisfied for the morning. Something crunchy, something nutty, something chewy, something sweet – this has got it all.
Keep in mind this recipe makes a big batch to make easy breakfasts on busy weekdays. Top up a jar filled with a half cup of frozen fruit, a half cup of Greek yogurt and a quarter cup of your own granola for a quick and easy breakfast on-the-go.
MAKES: 1.75 LITER (APPROX. 28 x 60ML SERVINGS).
PREPARATION TIME: 5 MINUTES.
COOK TIME: 20 MINUTES.
EQUIPMENT: SPATULA, 2xBAKING TRAY, MEASURING CUPS AND SPOONS, MICROWAVEABLE BOWL, LARGE MIXING BOWL, OVEN.
- 4 cup (1000mL) Large Flake Oats
- 2 cup (500 mL) Nuts (Almond, Cashew, Pecan, or Walnut)
- 1 cup (250mL) Seeds (Pumpkin Seeds, Sesame Seeds or Sunflower Seeds)
- 2 cup (500mL) Dried Fruit (Raisins, Dried Cranberries, Dried Blueberries, Diced Prunes, Shredded Coconut, or Dried Apricot to name a few)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) Liquid Sweetener (Honey, Molasses, Agave Nectar, or Maple Syrup)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) Coconut Oil
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) Vanilla Extract (Also try alternate extract flavours such as: Coconut, Maple, Almond)
- Optional: 1 Tbsp of powdered spice of choice (Cinnamon, Matcha Powder, or Nutmeg for example)
- 1/4 cup (60mL) Chia Seed
- 1/4 cup (60mL) Wheat Bran
- 1/4 cup (60mL) Tbsp Flax Seed, Ground
- Place liquid sweetener and coconut oil together in a microwaveable bowl, and heat for 15 seconds until oil has melted.
- In a large mixing bowl, measure out oats, nuts and dried fruit.
- Pour melted coconut oil and sweetener into dried ingredients. Add in powdered flavouring (i.e. cinnamon). Add extract and mix well with a spatula.
- Evenly spread a 1” inch layer over the lined baking trays and bake in the oven at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Once golden, remove from oven and allow to cool completely before storing.
- Once cooled, place in an airtight container and add in chia seeds, wheat bran and ground flax seed. Store in a dark cool place. ‘
To get started: Try a recipe with molasses, almonds, pumpkin seed, half dried cranberry and half shredded dried coconut and coconut extract with a hint of cinnamon.
Per Serving (1/4 cup, or 60mL)
Calories: 205 kcal
Fat: 10 g
Carbohydrates: 24 g
Fiber: 4 g
(Net Carbohydrate: 20 g)
Protein: 7 g
A source of:
Half a serving of “Grain Products” and “Meat and Alternatives” from Canada’s Food Guide