Shiitake Miso Risotto
MAKES: 5 x 375mL Servings
PREPARATION TIME: 10 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 20 MINUTES.
EQUIPMENT: MEASURING CUPS AND SPOONS, CUTTING BOARD, KNIFE, INSTANT POT OR STOVE AND COOKING POT.
- 1 Tbsp (15mL) Butter
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 2 Onions, Minced
- 2 Carrots, Minced
- 1/2 Cup (125mL) Shiitake Mushroom (Rehydrate in hot water, drain and set aside)
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) Miso
- 1/2 tsp (2.5mL) Soy Sauce
- 1/4 Cup (60mL) Cream Cheese
- 2 Cups (500mL) Whey (Can substitute with Vegetable Broth)
- 1 1/2 Cup (375mL) Sorghum (Can substitute with Quinoa or Orzo Rice)
- 2 Celery Stalk, Minced
- 1/4 cup (60mL) Walnuts, Chopped
- Optional Garnish: 2 Stalks Green Onions, Parmesan Cheese and Cracked Black Pepper.
- Using ‘Sauté’ option on the Instant Pot, heat butter garlic, onions, carrots and shiitake mushrooms until fragrant (approximately 3 to 5 minutes). Same method for on the stove.
- Add in miso, soy sauce, cream cheese, whey and sorghum. Stir well.
- If cooking in an Instant Pot: place lid on securely, change to ‘Pressure Cook’ and set timer for 5 minutes then allow to de-pressurize naturally. If cooking on the stove, cook at high heat for 5 minutes while counting to stir, then turn heat down to simmer and cover pot with a lid for 8 to 10 minutes. (Cooking time my vary if using alternative grains).
- Add in minced celery stalk and walnuts. Continue to cook for another 3-5 minutes on ‘Sauté’ mode on the instant pot, or on medium heat on the stove.
- Garnish with green onions, parmesan cheese and cracked black pepper. Serve hot with a poached egg and some leafy greens for a complete meal.
Per Serving (1 serving, 375mL)
Calories: 349 kcal
Fat: 12.7 g
Carbohydrates: 45 g
Fiber: 6.5 g
(Net Carbohydrate: 38.5 g)
Protein: 10 g
A source of:
1 servings of “Vegetables” and 1 serving of “Grains and Alternatives” from Canada’s Food Guide