I was scrolling through the internet searching for recipes for my partner’s work St.Patrick’s Day potluck and everything green, but made with food colouring was all I could find. Mother Earth has blessed us with so many vibrantly green produces – my pick instead of food colouring? Kiwi! Beautiful green gradient with speckles of seeds makes a perfect topper for a picture-worthy dessert. The main difference between this other internet sweets is that it is light, quick and easy to make! A couple of modifications were made: silken tofu was used in replacement of some cream cheese, and yogurt was used in replacement for whipping cream! For flavour, I used the sweet vanilla from the yogurt, zing from the lime, tartness of the kiwi and a hint of coconut Malibu. The crust is made with a high fibre bran flake – a staple in my pantry so I didn’t need to go out to get graham crackers. Feel free to load up on extra coconut flakes in the crust if that’s your thing. In light of St.Patrick’s Day, here’s a green recipe for you! Amongst all the green desserts on the internet, here’s one to the addition!
Kiwi Lime No Bake Cheesecake Tart
MAKES: 1 TART
PREPARATION TIME: 30 MINUTES. SET TIME: 60 MINUTES.
EQUIPMENT: FOOD PROCESSFOR, MEASURING CUP, MEASURING SPOON, SPATULA, MIXING BOWL.
- 1 cup (250mL) Bran Flakes, Crushed (about 2.5 cups flakes; in replacement of graham cracker crumbs for a higher fibre, well textured crust)
- 3 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1/2 Package (125g) Cream Cheese, brought to room temperature (or microwave for 30 seconds in a heatproof bowl)
- 1/2 Package (150g) Soft Tofu
- 1/2 Cup (125mL) Creamy Yogurt (Vanilla Flavour)
- 1/2 Lime Zest and Juice
- 1 tsp Coconut Extract or Malibu
- 4 to 5 Kiwis, peeled and sliced
*A 9%MF ‘Mediterranean Style’ Liberté yogurt was used as replacement for the alternative 35% MF whipping cream; but feel free to use a Greek yogurt for some extra protein (do pick a thick and creamy product though!)
- In a microwave safe bowl, heat the coconut oil for 30 seconds until melted.
- Mix in crushed bran flakes and pour onto a tart pan while pressing the crust down.
- In a food processor, blend tofu until smooth.
- Add in cream cheese and pulse until smooth.
- Mix in yogurt and coconut extract and blend again for 30 seconds.
- Add in lemon zest and just while stirring with a spatula.
- Pour the cream cheese-yogurt mixture into the pressed tart shell and set in freezer to set for at least one hour (overnight works great as well).
- Once set, allow to thaw for a little and slice Kiwis and place atop the tart in a preferred arrangement.
* note: recipe can be made into a trifle dessert and works very well as a small jar dessert in the refrigerator instead of the freezer.
Per Serving (1/8 of tart)
Calories: 190 kcal
Fat: 12 g
Carbohydrates: 18 g
Fiber: 3 g
(Net Carbohydrate: 15 g)
Protein: 4 g
A source of:
Half a serving of fruits as per Canada’s Food Guide