Sam may not like green eggs and ham, but I guarantee you that you will like this green egg – here or there, you’d like them anywhere!
As Dr.Seuss would say: ‘Oh the things you can do that are good for you’…. Who would’ve thought this could be referring to some green eggs?! Hat’s off to that man who seemed to know the answer to everything.
“I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions.” Stephen Covey
After all, you’ve got brains in your head, you have feet in your shoes, you can steer yourself in any direction you choose! I find that we often forget that for many of us, how we choose to treat our bodies is a choice. Why not treat it with gratitude and fill it with nourishment? Choose to face each day with positivity, courage and kindness.
All this inspiration and wholesome goodness makes a delicious breakfast addition. Make it with whatever fresh herbs and leafy stems you can get your hands on. Loads of greens to keep your gut, mind and body healthy. Also making it the ideal ‘clean-out-the-fridge’ recipe.
Green Eggs: Herb and Leek Frittata
MAKES: 8 Servings
PREPARATION TIME: 5 MINUTES. COOK TIME: 15 MINUTES.
EQUIPMENT: Cast Iron Pan and Cover, Cutting Board, Knife, Oven, Stove, Measuring Spoon and Cup, Spatula.
- 4 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 Onion, Finely Chopped
- 1 Leek, Finely Chopped
- 4 cups Greens, Finely Chopped (Cilantro and Parsley were used here, but feel free to dig out the kale leaves, swiss chard, or whatever green you can get your hands on!)
- 6 Eggs
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper, Freshly Ground
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric, Ground
- 1 Tbsp Fenugreek Leaves, Dried
- Heat 2 Tbsp oil in a skillet over medium heat, add onion and leek to cook until soft while stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk eggs, salt, pepper and turmeric.
- Mix in Cilantro, Parsley, Fenugreek and cooked onions and leek mixture into the eggs.
- Heat remaining 2 Tbsp oil in the skillet and pour in egg mixture. Use a spatula to spread the mixture evenly. Cover and cook on medium heat until bottom is set, approximately 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove cover on the pan and place into the oven to broil for 1 minute until the top is set (watch carefully).
- Serve warm on a platter paired with feta cheese, yogurt and pickles on a slice of wholesome bread and a side of roasted vegetables.
Per Serving (1/8th of recipe)
Calories: 142 kcal
Fat: 10.9 g
Carbohydrates: 6.5 g
Fiber: 2.0 g
(Net Carbohydrate: 4.5 g)
Protein: 6.0 g
A source of:
1 serving of Canada’s Food Guide’s Vegetables and Fruit, 1/2 a serving of Meat and Alternatives